Thursday, November 11, 2010

Surprise!!!

   My sweet husband has been planning a birthday surprise for me.  I had some suspicions as to what he might be up to, but I really wasn't sure what he had up his sleeve.  Yesterday when I got home from work, Steve informed me I banned from going upstairs at all. My limits were to stay in the kitchen and down.  I happen to have a pretty significant sense of smell, so as I walked in the door I could smell something.  But I didn't want to give the fun away, so I played along. 
   We ate dinner, made Allie some birthday cards from the kids, and then I headed off for Young Women. I got a text from Steve about 9:30 during my board meeting.  In his text he said that the kids had waited up for me and needed to go to bed, but that he needed me to come home asap.  Anyway, I left my meeting and when I got home I heard Isaac say in the hallway "Hurry, shut the door, it will be more fun if the door is closed." I was so excited to see the unveiling of the surprise.  So Steve took me upstairs, he looked at me and said "I hope I am not in trouble" and then opened the door.  Both of the kids with the biggest smiles on their faces said "Surprise!!"  They were sitting on my bed which was now accompanied by a new headboard, two nightstands, a cute black drape curtain wound around an iron rod, and to top it all of a new paint color.  My bedroom was completely transformed by some magical helpers. 
   I was so excited.  I never would have guessed that one.  Steve did a wonderful job and was very tasteful with what he had done.  He gave me some grief because just the other day I was telling him that we are never going to have a nice bed set.  I was teasing him because for our 1st year anniversary (nearly 8 years ago) he had told me I could have a vanity.  To this day, there is no vanity and so I like to tease Steve about it. It's kind of fun.  To his credit, there have been many things he has given to me and done for me that far surpass the vanity that would probably sit idle. Shhhh, don't tell Steve that last part.....
   I was overwhelmed and very blessed to have such a sweet husband and family members who I know contributed to getting the work done. There are a lot of things that Steve enjoys doing and painting is not really at the top of his list. But he knew that it would make me very happy and he was right.  Thanks Steve for being mine. I have always loved the saying "you may not be perfect, but you're perfect for me."  I love the bedroom overhaul and I am excited to add some fun accessories. Thanks to my sweet kids who make things so much worth the while.  The excitement and the looks on their faces when they showed me the room was just priceless. Isaac and Audrey have been telling me all week "Mom, I know what you want for your Birthday" and I would say "What's that?" and they would reply "A happy family."  Apparently I have said that a lot, but it really is true. The older I get the less material things matter.  I am so grateful to have my beautiful family and I hope they all know how much I love them and appreciate them.
Pictures of the bedroom coming soon....

3 comments:

  1. yes, pictures please! Whaat a fun birthday! I love suprises...as long as I know NOTHING about them before hand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I want to see pictures. What a cute husband you have to surprise you like that.

    ReplyDelete